My lovely college friend Brit posted a list of her favorite moments of 2013 today on Facebook, something I feel is a lovely prequel to posting my 2014 Practices to Enact (which are, without a doubt, far too vague, very emotion-based, and lightly pretentious). So many of my friends have been posting ‘good riddance’ sorts of things in regards to 2013, and while I too am happy to leave this year behind, I have learned SO VERY MUCH about myself, and truly look forward to this next year. The solstice and my birthday might feel more momentous, but a new calendar year is as much reason for reflection as any.
10. Transitioning into a role as the Transportation and Sustainability Coordinator for two great neighborhoods in St. Paul.
9. Fantastic volunteering with books at the Hosmer library and Boneshaker Books.
8. My first Pride festival!
7. Discovering tarot.
6. San Francisco/Yosemite with Sarah in early February.
5. Three tattoos in one year (thanks Adam at 4 Points for two of them).
4. Finding ample, wonderful queer culture in Minneapolis, and feeling remarkably at home in it.
3. The growing zeitgeist around intentional community in the Twin Cities.
2. My community house becoming The Moon Box (<3 to Haven, Katie, Laura, and Natalia, my lovely housemates).
1. Biking solo down nearly 1,000 miles of the Mississippi River.
2013, you happened. You were incredibly challenging, and contained many tears, but even more love and growth and laughs and hope, all things considered. Stay tuned for 2014 Practices to Enact, friends!